02 March 2009

Rocks in Joshua Tree

Anza-Borrego is relatively close to Joshua Tree and since Jenny and I had never been there, we decided to take a day trip to see the funny trees.  While I am not posting any trees this time, I will in the future.
As Dave knows, Joshua Tree is a popular place for rock climbers and while I didn't get any pictures of people scaling vertical wall faces, I did take some of smaller rocks.  The one above was at a pull out when we spotted our first Joshua tree.  The small plant in front is a young Joshua tree, so I guess I did post one tree.
This arch was a pleasant surprise.  We climbed under it and I was a little nervous about that large boulder wedged against the arch.  The left side (in the picture) seems to defy gravity by hanging up in the air.  I quickly scrambled up and under but still didn't feel safe on that side because of the other boulders behind it.  
Near this spot, a dad was teaching this two kids to climb.  We could clearly hear his instructions.  It seemed to be an easy wall to climb, but then again, I was watching, not doing.
We ate our lunch surrounded by rock climbers - so we had some entertainment.  Conversations on the top of the rocks were easy to hear in this little valley.  The most entertaining part while watching was the repel off the top.  One lady was a little timid about coming down, I guess but I would be as well.

No comments: