12 March 2009

Joshua Trees in Joshua Tree

My last post showed some of the rocks in Joshua Tree National Park.  While the rocks there are famous and lot of fun to climb, the national park was not named for them.  Instead, in case you didn't know, the park was named for the funny looking trees that grow there.  Here are some.
I tell ya, the Mormons sure are adventurous.  I'm not sure when they made their way to this area, but they were the ones that named the trees Joshua Trees.  Evidently the trees reminded these people of Joshua raising his arms to God.  Sure, I guess I see that.
These trees have a few other historical names and one of them is more descriptive - Spanish bayonet.  The leaves are very long and sharp along the sides and at the tip.  When I hear Joshua, I tend to think of something that is welcoming and personable.  However, Spanish bayonet seems less friendly for some reason.  Perhaps if this name stuck the park would not be as popular.
Somehow I think that the park would survive with a different name.  Pictures are nice, but being there is something else completely!  Seeing the trees stretch from horizon to horizon is amazing.  They are absolutely amazing and hilarious at the same time.
Dr. Seuss was right to use these trees as inspiration for the trees in the Lorax.  They seem like something that has come to live out of one of his stories.

No comments: