22 February 2009

Slot Canyons

Two months later...

The first three pictures are of a slot canyon along the Calcite Mine trail.  A little trail off to the side took us through this canyon.  The guidebook instructed us to stop when we came to a small wall, but a few adventurous souls decided to continue further while the others relaxed and enjoyed some cookies.
the one below is upstream from the small wall just before the canyon widened - and became less interesting.
While walking through the canyon, I was reminded of a trip to Wisconsin Dells many years ago when I was but a wee lad.  On a Duck Tour, my family and I got off to visit a canyon called "Fat Man's Misery" (or something like that.  Perhaps "Fat Man's Nightmare.")  I don't remember just how wide that was, but I don't think a large person would be very happy in some parts of these canyons.
the one below was explored on our last full day in Anza-Borrego.  I'm not sure the name of the trail - it's not important - but it was very popular with both hikers and off-roaders.  Before we entered the canyon, we encountered some mean looking VW Beetles ready for some serious rock climbing.  The people attending the vehicles were nice enough but a little perplexed as to why we would be hiking when we could be in an ORV.  I had a similar question for them and the beer.
I hope you enjoyed this journey down  - actually up - the slot canyons visited this year.  I have some more pictures that I will put up; those will show that I didn't go on this trip by myself.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

Oooh! I made it on the blog! Can you see me in the slot canyon?

Meg said...

I love the way you captured the rock formations! The slots look so inviting. But couldn't see Jenny, unless that's part of her in the second photo.