15 October 2008

In the Flow Part II

As requested, here are some more pictures from my outing at Mill Creek. This is part 2 of 3 or perhaps 4. I have gone back to this spot a few times within the past couple of weeks.
My last outing surprised me. I had been gone for only one week but the water had dropped about 4 inches. I was under the assumption that since it had been raining quite often that the water would have remained about the same.
Also, I was attacked by a large crawfish, crayfish, crawdad, crustacean during my last visit. I looked down when changing spots and noticed the monster. At first I saw only one claw coming at me. Then the anttenae were whipping me in the face.
It grabbed a hold of my pants and was trying to drag me under the boulder that it called home but I was somehow able to reach the riverbank and hold on to a root. I grabbed my tripod with my other hand and started swatting at the beast. After a couple of good swats the thing let go and I was able to struggle ashore.
I decided to leave the area for safety and moved downstream about a hundred yards. I snapped off a couple more shots and was startled by movement in the water again. Another beast emerged from the depths and I was out of there!
Safe at home I realized that I was able to get off a couple of shots of the animal - while beating it off. In everyone of them the shaking of my hands is very evident and you can see death and hunger in it's eyes.

Perhaps I will post those some day. (My nightmares must end first.)

No comments: