10 August 2008

Manassas Battlefield

We enjoy our Civil War history and were able to take a day trip out to Manassas Battlefield Park. It is only about 30 miles outside of D.C., so it was a very short and easy trip.



It is very different from Gettysburg in that there are not nearly as many people, it is not a expansive, and there are very few monuments. The largest and most prominent is Stonewall Jackson. This picture looks like the Confederate cannon is pointed right at Stonewall on his horse, but it is not, I don't think. If it is, they aren't firing.



Yes, Jenny was with me. Here's the proof.



There was a Stone House on the battlefield grounds - that was used as a hospital. Here Jenny is sitting on a stone bridge that was rebuilt after it washed away, which was a replacement for a stone bridge of which the middle was destroyed by the Confederates and was then burned after the Union troops retreated. In other words, this is a replica of a replacement of the bridge that was burned after the battle whose middle section was destroyed before the battle. Confused? Me too. I don't think I have my facts right. But trust me, this is not the original bridge, or even the original replacement.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Let's be honest - I'm always there.

Except when I'm not :)